Thursday 18 November 2021

Chapter 322

Another Thursday. I like Thursdays, because I have two lab sessions and only one class, and it’s with the strong eleventh-graders.

I could go in details and talk about what supervising lab sessions entail, but I feel like I’ve done it already in previous entries. I can barely think of anything to write about, other than “my day went well and nobody really pissed me off”. I caught the Metal Minded live podcast, the boys reviewed positively four albums in vastly different subgenres of metal, three of them being sung in French. They noted something I had noticed as well, it seems like more and more metal bands nowadays embrace making music in their native language, and it’s a good thing. I had already listened to the disturbingly bleak sludgy, grindy punk from Fuck Toute (what a name!) and was blown away, now at their recommendation I checked out a black metal release by Montreal-based band Malebranche, and it was pretty good. The kind of atmospheric black metal to play while sitting in a hot bath in the dark with a glass of wine.

Towards the end of the afternoon, I started getting a headache, not sure if it’s due to this lingering cold I’d been nursing on and off, or because I’d been staring at a computer screen. I was also a bit sluggish, and had to drag myself to the gym. I did my deadlifts and accessory exercises, forcing myself through. I was listening to a Jocko Willink podcast, which is always pure concentrated motivation in an audio format, and in this particular one, he was talking to a Marine Corps combat engineer who had his legs blown off but is now running marathons, having completed 31 in 31 days.

So yeah, with that in mind, I guess I can plough through some minor discomfort and finish my workout. I got home, ate some kebab meat and then truly felt drained. I was in bed by 20:30.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 365 - The End

Last day of the year. I woke up a bit before 7, took the dog out, and went to work. Same scenario you read about hundreds of times. We got...