Wednesday 17 November 2021

Chapter 321

Another day. I have to say I still enjoy sitting down and penning this navel-gazing diary but at times it’s hard to think about what to write, my life isn’t boring but not every damn day is worth writing about.

I had grade-12 classes in the morning, going over the mid-term exam. Then I went home and had lunch. I reheated some leftover curry I had forgotten about, in the back of the fridge. I was hoping I wouldn’t die. [UPDATE: I didn’t die] I added hard-boiled eggs, and ate it with tortilla bread, wiping the brown spicy goodness from my bowl. I watched an episode of Dave, and it was quite trippy: the semi-autobiographical Lil Dicky goes to Rick Rubin’s house, gets in a floatation tank, and has a bunch of dreams and visions about where he should go as an artist.

I uploaded a bunch of classic and underground Quebec hip-hop to my mp3 player, and listened to it all afternoon when I wasn’t teaching. 2Faces, Yvon Krevé, Traumaturges, stuff like that. Some of it can be a tiny bit corny, but there are some great tracks in there.

I had a bunch of free time in the middle of the afternoon, but the internet was down. Yesterday it was malfunctioning, and some guy came with a ladder to fiddle with the router, conveniently nailed to the ceiling. So I did some writing, since the cheapos in charge don’t want to provide me with the proper tools to do my job.

I saw a bunch of messages in various WeChat shitposting groups, apparently there’s been an earthquake just off the coast, and people in Shanghai and even in my inland city felt it. They even evacuated the girlfriend’s school campus. As for myself, I didn’t feel a thing.

At night, my BJJ partners were busy, so there was no practice. That’s the problem with having such a small group. I wanted to train anyway, so I went to the kickboxing gym, stretched and warmed up, and then did mitts with the waimai delivery guy. The Eccentric Ukrainian came soon after, and we practiced together, doing some kind of flow grappling, fighting for grips and takedown setups. He was a bit injured so he took a break, and I did some boxing sparring with two of the regulars there. Good times.

I went home and the three of us went on a walk, the lot where there used to be a building is now all cleared out and covered with grass. The dog enjoyed running around there. Then we went home, and I cooked dinner: beef cubes and broccoli, cream cheese bagels, and leftover seafood chowder. Bliss. The girlfriend wanted to watch Foundation, a TV series inspired by Isaac Asimov’s novels. I read the first few, and weird, I don’t remember the main character being a woman. I can overlook all this netflixisation and shoving of “minorities” in every story when it’s fictional or set in the future, I have a bit of a hard time when it’s a historical series, like what they’re doing with Vikings apparently. Anyway, we watched 10 minutes, but the dogshit Chinese website she was using to stream it was (surprise, surprise) malfunctioning and the audio was way out of synch. I told her I’ll download it and we can watch it another day.

She did the dishes, and I watched Dark Side Of The Ring, the episode about the steroid trials in the 1990s, that threatened to tank the WWF. I stopped halfway, I was dead tired, and went to bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 365 - The End

Last day of the year. I woke up a bit before 7, took the dog out, and went to work. Same scenario you read about hundreds of times. We got...