Wednesday 15 September 2021

Chapter 258

Same routine as always, it’s becoming redundant at times. But then again I’m nearly 255 000 words in, of course at times it feels like I’m out of things to say.

I got to school, there was a message from the principal. The Ghanaian math teacher is still stuck in his country, he couldn’t get the paperwork right to come back at the end of the summer vacation. Consequently, his contract got terminated, it was a gamble he took and he lost. Quite unfortunate. Things in China are quite normal now, I can’t even remember the last time I had to put a shitty little face diaper on my face, but the borders are pretty much sealed shut, everyone who comes in has to get tested beforehand and quarantine regardless of the result.

Lunch was copious and delicious, I had a thick pastrami sandwich with sauerkraut, mustard, mayo and a pickle on the side, as well as a big bowl of chili. It was spicy, the way I like it. Then I only had one class in the afternoon, I caught up on all my homework grading. I don’t collect all homework, only from a handful of randomly selected students. The goal is practice and formative assessment, seeing how well they generally do, not to give myself a mountain of tedious shit to go through.

On Wednesday afternoons we have extracurricular activities, I run the skateboarding club. About 25 students gathered outside, I took attendance and made them read a list of rules (in English and Chinese) and sign waivers. No idea if it’s legally binding in any way, but I want to make clear that it’s a potentially dangerous activity and I’m not responsible if they do something stupid and get hurt. Then we rode our boards around the lot.

Two female students from last year snuck in through the closed gate and ran in the building, I wasn’t sure but I thought I recognized one who was in Attitude Class. Curious, I walked in the building, and they were in the dance room gyrating to K-pop with their friends in the lower grades. I said hi and asked what they’re doing, they said a teacher let them in. I smelled bullshit but didn’t feel like going to the bottom of it, at any rate they were not doing anything bad. I went back outside, and when the extracurricular period was over, I saw them getting sternly talked to by the Chinese principal and one senior teacher. The side gate is unmanned but monitored by cameras, you have to be stupid to think you can sneak in and not get caught.

Weirdly enough, the extracurriculars are scheduled in the middle of the afternoon, and there is still a class period after. Some students are all sweaty from playing sports or all excited, and now they have to go sit back down. I’m glad I don’t have a class scheduled there this year, so I sat around the office and listened to music. I saw a link to an album by a black metal band named Mort Aux Gueux, it was raw, dirty and sloppy, but it’s black metal we’re talking about, isn’t it?! Then I finally got around to listen to Hooded Menace’s new album and... wow. It’s really weird. The Finnish band cleaned up their sound, with upbeat and melodic bits that sound like In Flames, while still somewhat sticking to their doom-death roots. I can’t say I liked it that much, but hey, they do what they want.

I chilled a bit at home, eating fruit, a small bowl of peanuts and a yogurt with protein powder. Bad move. My stomach was grumbling at the beginning of jiu-jitsu practice, but it settled. It was a good one, I went hard against the two blue belts and though they slaughtered me, I had my moments. Good times were had by all.

I went home, walked the dog in the misty rain, and did my laundry/shower/refuel routine. No beer though... well I had a ginger beer.

I finished Un Roman Français by Beigbeder and went to sleep. Another beautiful day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapter 365 - The End

Last day of the year. I woke up a bit before 7, took the dog out, and went to work. Same scenario you read about hundreds of times. We got...